Saturday, August 18, 2018

It's the little things that'll get you

I was revising a scene in the current work-in-progress and realized I'd screwed something up.  I had a character step on some entrails and slip.  The problem is that the entrails came from a character who was supposed to be wearing a space combat suit when he got disemboweled.  In that case, the entrails would spill out into his suit, not onto the floor.  I'd forgotten about the suit.  So I had to re-work the scene.

This is just one instance of the little things that will trip you up as an author.  It's frustrating to find those little goofs, and it's tedious to look for them and fix them, but this sort of scrutiny simply has to be done.  I want to put out the best product I can, and that means taking the time to dissect it and make sure everything works.

No comments:

Post a Comment