Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Another Walmart update

Okay, it looks like Walmart is rolling this whole thing out incrementally, because I'm noticing some differences on an hourly basis.  Before, I couldn't find any indie authors by searching using Walmart's search engine.  There was the redirect link to Kobo, but that was it; no other amalgamation of the two sites was apparent.  It was a big disappointment.

Now, though, the Walmart search engine is producing results.  Go to their site and type in "Patty Jansen," and Patty's ebooks will pop up.  Well, some of them.  Like I said, this seems to be a gradual rollout, and not all the books are populating at once.

Unfortunately, when you search for "Jeff Tanyard" without quotation marks, it shows results for "Jeff Tankard."  Which is fine if you're looking for a beer stein or something, but otherwise sucks for me.

If you click on the "search instead" link, you get results for Jeff Dunham, Jeff Foxworthy, Jeff Bezos (!), etc.  *sigh*  In order for my ebooks to show up on page 1 of the results, you have to add the quotation marks around the name.  And when you do, you still get the "tankard" results, so you then have to click on the "show instead" link.  And only then do you get to see this:




So far, the search results are displaying three of my titles: the box set, Cities of Mars, and Mind Games.  I expect the rest of my titles to populate in time.

So that's where we're at right now.  I'm thrilled to see that this partnership isn't just going to be a redirect link to the Kobo site.  Look at the URL in that image; that's the Walmart site, not Kobo.  And that's awesome.

I was bummed yesterday, and I was bewildered earlier today, but now my prior optimism is starting to return.  :D

Now go tell all your friends they can get (some of) my stuff at Walmart.  The box set is a Kobo/Walmart exclusive and is on sale for 99 cents for the next month.  That's a deal, folks.  You get all this:




...for a buck.  :o  Seriously... tell your friends.

I'll continue to update as I notice new changes in Walmart's ebook-selling experiment.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Stu! Nice to see you around, man. :)

    Yeah, the Walmart search engine definitely could use some improvement. And there are a bunch of other things they need to get done if they ever want to give Amazon a real challenge in the indie ebook marketplace. They've got the resources. All they need is the will. Time will tell if they have it or not.

    ReplyDelete