Monday, June 10, 2019

Jupiter is in opposition

Our solar system's largest planet is currently close to Earth and big in the sky.  Apparently, one should able to see some of its moons with just a pair of binoculars.  I tried, but no dice.  It's a hazy, humid night, so that might be the reason.  Also, whenever I tried to look at Jupiter, I simply couldn't hold the binoculars steady.  The planet danced all over my field of view like a lightning bug on cocaine.  I'll try again tomorrow night.  Maybe the air will be clearer.

A telescope would be a better tool for stargazing than binoculars, but I don't have a telescope.

Anyway, if you've got clear air where you live, see if you can find Jupiter's moons.

Also, for a cool and free astronomy program, download Stellarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment