Friday, June 7, 2019

I found a childhood friend tonight

On a whim, I decided to google an old friend.  I haven't seen or talked to him decades.  We lived in the same neighborhood as kids, but he lived a couple of streets over, so he wasn't one of my closer neighborhood friends.  He moved away after our freshman year in high school, and that was the last I heard of him.

He apparently joined the military after high school and had even become a grandfather.  I've never even had kids--something I still hold out a slim hope of doing--and this guy who's the same age as me already produced the next two generations of his family.  I'm envious and full of bitter regret for the years I've wasted.

I don't remember if he ever told me he was moving away or not.  I also don't know the circumstances involved.  Did his parents divorce?  Did one of them get relocated due to work?  No idea.  Whatever the case, he simply disappeared from my life.

It wasn't hard to find him on the internet, though.  His obituary was on the very first page.  He died last year at the age of forty-three.

I found a childhood friend tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment