Tuesday, March 26, 2019

I screwed up

I wanted to correct a couple of typos in Hostile Planet before the book's Kobo promotion began.  The promotion begins on the 27th, so it's just a few hours away.

I uploaded the corrected file thinking everything would be fine.  Well, it's not, and now the book's product page is gone.  The problem--I think--was that I had the series title and number in the title field.  This is apparently a new change, because I did this before without any problems.  In fact, I didn't change any metadata at all when publishing the corrected file.

I've just published again, this time with--hopefully--correct metadata.  If I'm lucky, the book will go live before midnight and Kobo's promotion won't be screwed up.  If I'm not lucky, then Kobo will probably be upset with me.

I've already sent a help request to Kobo, so maybe a human will look at it in time to fix everything.  We'll see.

But I feel like the world's biggest idiot right now.  I should have known better than to make changes so close to a promotion.  I should have let those typos ride it out until after the promotion was over.

There are times when I really hate this business.  There are too many things that can go wrong, and it's too easy to make a catastrophic mistake.

If anyone from Kobo is reading, I'm sorry, and I hope you'll all forgive me for my stupidity.


UPDATE: The book is live again.  Kobo's customer service, as always, is awesome.  All is well.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment