Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Battle scenes are fun, but tough

Battle scenes are fun because you get swept up in the action.  The problem is that it's really easy to write in a plot hole or some other kind of goof.  These kinds of scenes require more self-discipline than usual, at least in my experience.

Progress on book 3 is still slow.  I've got about 26k words in, I think.  On the other hand, I've already killed off tens of millions of people, so things are happening.  Right now I'm in the middle of a Calael-POV scene.  I had to stop and give it some thought, though, because my outline didn't detail this scene very well.  I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do it.

I've got a detailed outline and cover made for book 4, but that's as far as I've gotten.  My outlines for books 5-8 are sketchy and still need to be fleshed out.  And I've still got to make covers for those books.

Free advice: If you're ever thinking about writing some epic series with a huge cast of characters, don't try to have a lot of characters.  Just make them up as you need them, not before.  Because in my experience, you'll naturally end up with more characters than you would have predicted you'd have.  The "huge cast" thing sort of takes care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment