Saturday, October 5, 2019

First cool day

Today was the first day of the fall that actually felt like fall.  The high temps have been in the nineties for all of September and October.  Today's high in the low eighties felt almost chilly.  Just goes to show how the body adapts, I guess.

As of yesterday, there was at least one hummingbird still around.  I expect her to move on soon.  It's rare to have one stick around after October 15.  The males have been long gone; I haven't seen a male since early August.  Only the females have stuck around this long.  Kind of weird, but whatever.  Have fun in Mexico, my little feathered friends, and I'll see you again in the spring.

They say you can predict the severity of the coming winter by observing the plants and animals.  Trees produce more acorns in anticipation of colder winters, etc.  That sort of thing.  I don't know how much stock to put in that, but it's an interesting theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment