Saturday, August 6, 2022

In a heartbeat

There's been a good bit of 1980s nostalgia in recent years.  I haven't watched Stranger Things yet, but I've been thinking about giving it a try mainly for the nostalgia.

It all makes me homesick, frankly.  I'm homesick for the decade of my youth.

We didn't have easy availability of music and video that we have now, but that made us appreciate what we did have all the more.  And it left plenty of time for playing outside.  I used to ride my bike all over the place.  Now I haven't even sat on a bike in years.

Anonymity was the default state.  Whatever you did, you could be confident that no one was going to film you doing it.  This enabled mischief, but it also enabled the learning of valuable lessons.  It enabled liberty and growth and the accruing of wisdom.  We learned about living by doing.  Now the Eye of Sauron is everywhere, and we're all scuttling fearfully through our lives like goblins.

If I could go back to the 1980s, I'd do it in a heartbeat, man.  In a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment