Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Just did some rowing

The past two-and-a-half years have been tough for a lot of people, and I'm no exception.  For me, the ordeal began in late January/early February of 2020 when I developed an abscess in my big toe.  I was unable to wear a proper shoe on that foot for a while, so my freedoms of travel and exercise were restricted.  I was also scared of the possibility of the infection spreading and maybe having to amputate my foot or something.  It was quite distressing.

Then Covid happened, and the lockdowns, and so on and so forth.  At the same time, I was struggling with trying to find a dietary solution to my migraine issues.  I put on weight the past two years, had little energy, and spent a lot of time drowsy and perhaps even in a pre-diabetic state.

So I was dealing with many stressors at once, and I fell out of my exercise habits.

The past few months, though, have seen some improvement.  Not much, but enough to make me think there's some hope after all, that I'm not doomed to continue declining until I die of old age before I'm fifty.

Today, I did something I don't think I've done since before the pandemic.  I did some rowing exercises.

I don't have a rowing machine.  What I do have is an elastic exercise band with a door anchor.  I also have an audio file of the "rowing of the galley slaves" scene from Ben-hur, and I listen to that while rowing.  Moving my arms in time with the hortator's drumbeats from that scene is a heck of a workout.  

It was only a couple of minutes of exercise, but I'm feeling pretty blitzed right now.  It's a good feeling, though, and I'm glad I did it.  Hopefully this will be the start of a new habit.

That's the moral of the story: no matter how many times you fall out of an exercise habit, you can always start it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment