Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Did some chiseling

I'm not a woodworker.  Just a reminder.  I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff.

Today, though, I finally got around to trying out my new chisel set.  I made a practice mortise in an old piece of 4x4.  I had another piece of scrap wood that functioned as my tenon.

The good new is that I actually made half-decent mortise for a beginner.  The tenon piece fit snugly inside, and I think it went in to the proper depth.  There was a small space on a couple of sides of the tenon where the sides of the mortise weren't flush to it, but it wasn't too bad.  Overall, I'm pleased with how I did.

I did have some chunks of wood get torn out from the sides of the mortise while chiseling.  I guess that's what softwood does.  I don't know.

Anyway, it was a new experience, and while it looked a bit rough, it wasn't a failure.  That's a win in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment