Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Comet Neowise

I think I saw Comet Neowise the other day.

It was a hazy night, thanks to someone in the area who did some burning and filled the air with smoke.  Not sure who it was or what was being burned, but as soon I opened the door, the stink hit me.  A bit of an annoyance.  In spite of the haze, I decided to try to spot the comet anyway, because it was an otherwise clear night.

And I think I did.

It sort of follows the Big Dipper across the sky.  It's on the "cup" side opposite the "handle."  Find the Big Dipper, then move away from it in the opposite direction of the handle.  The comet is a faint smudge.  I couldn't see it with the naked eye at all.  I needed my binoculars, and even then it was hard to find.  And I'm still not sure that what I saw was actually it.  I think it was, though.  It was in the right place, and it was a "star" that I couldn't bring into focus the way I could the other stars.  (I.e., it was fuzzy as a comet would be.)  And there looked to be a barely perceptible streak leading away from it.

The comet is best visible after dark and before sunrise.  I think it was around 10:30 P.M. when I saw it.

You still have a few more days to see it before it moves on.  If you miss it, though, then you'll never get another chance, because it won't be back for over 6,000 years.

It rained today, and the sky is cloudy and foggy right now, so no stargazing tonight.  I'm going to try to spot it again, though, if the opportunity presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment