Saturday, January 11, 2020

Switching gears temporarily

I'm at about the 64% mark in the mobi file, so I'm nearly two-thirds of the way finished with the line edit of book 4 of Wheel of Fire.

I decided I needed a small break, though, so I didn't do any line editing today.  Instead, I worked on chapter breaks.

I've already got all the scene breaks.  When writing, I end a scene with an asterisk break and then move on to the next scene, repeating this process until the book is finished.  Later, I go back and change some of those asterisk breaks to chapter breaks.

I've got three basic criteria for chapter breaks:

1.)  A chapter should be neither too long or too short, so preferably somewhere between five and twelve OpenOffice pages.  Sometimes I cheat, but only sometimes.  What I consider "too long" or "too short" may vary from book to book.

2.)  A chapter's name should be interesting, but vague, and not a spoiler.  Or, if a spoiler is unavoidable, then it should only spoil material from the beginning of the chapter, not anything from the end of it.

3.)  I try to avoid using chapter names that I've already used in previous books in the series.

I usually have multiple scenes in a chapter, but there are occasions where I'll have an unusually long scene that merits its own chapter.

Anyway, once the chapters are as good as I can get them, I'll go back to line editing.  Then comes the proofreading and whatever final adjustments need to be made.

It's coming together, folks.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment