Saturday, September 21, 2019

Insect adventures, part 2

I had another creepy encounter.  This time, it was a house centipede.  The thing was on the ceiling in the bathroom over the tub.  I was about to get a shower, but I wasn't about to do it with that little monster lurking above my head.  Remember in the movie Arachnophobia when the woman is in the shower and the spider takes a ride down between her breasts?  Yeah, that was on my mind.  I'm not a woman, nor do I have breasts, but I still didn't want some many-legged creepazoid using my body as a slip-n-slide.  I grabbed a tissue and prepared my attack plan.

The centipede must have sensed his peril, though, because he started moving.  Alas for him, he moved too hurriedly, and he lost his grip and fell.  That was a lucky break for me, because it meant I got to squash him on the bathtub floor instead of the ceiling.  You always want to smash these things on non-staining surfaces when possible.  I dispatched him post haste.

I think the spell of hot dry weather over the past few weeks is what's driving the critters inside.  That's usually the case.  Either too little rain or too much, and the creepy-crawlies go roaming in search of better conditions.  That's life in the Deep South.  It's a humid subtropical climate, and that means life in abundance, and that includes insect life.

There's no rain on the horizon, and highs are going to climb back into the low 90s, so I expect more buggers to invade my territory.  But that's all right.  I'm ready for battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment