Monday, August 3, 2026

SpaceX reports earnings

On Tuesday after the market closes, SpaceX will report its quarterly earnings.  This will be the first earnings report from them since they went public.  I'm looking forward to it, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

For the record, I don't currently own any SpaceX shares.  I've never owned any.  I have no plans at this time to purchase any.  My interest in this stock, a least until the earnings report comes out, is purely due to my excitement about the things the company does.

On August 6th, some of the shares currently in IPO lockup will be freed.  The owners of those shares will then be able to sell them if they wish.  Elon Musk's shares don't leave lockup until next summer, so he can't sell his shares for another ten months.  This tiered lockup calendar is a little weird, but it does inspire confidence when the main owner must keep all his shares for a full year after the IPO's debut.

What am I expecting tomorrow?  I have no idea.  Probably some new contracts with customers and subcontractors announced, though I couldn't begin to speculate on the details.  I can say with some confidence that Wednesday's trading volume for the stock will probably be higher than its average of 111 million shares, but that's pretty much the only limb I want to climb out on.  The stock might spike higher Wednesday, it might crash, or it might be more-or-less unchanged.

In any event, I'm looking forward to reading the report and seeing what I can glean from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment