Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Local report

Hurricane Ida is now in Tennessee.  Here in north Georgia, it's been raining on and off all day, but no major wind or flooding in my area.  For me, this storm has been no different than any ordinary rainstorm.

On a related note, I found an article that claimed this summer has been Atlanta's ninth-rainiest in the last hundred years.  I don't live in the city, but I'm pretty sure my area has had at least as much as Atlanta if not more.

Twenty-one years ago, we were just emerging from a long and severe drought.  Very little rain in the 1998-2000 time period.  It seemed like everything was going to turn to dust.  Even massive oak trees with deep roots were losing their leaves early and looking stressed.  Then the drought broke in August 2000, and it rained almost non-stop for two weeks.  We haven't had a drought like that since.

I swore back then that I would never complain about the rain again.  I've mostly kept that promise.  Most of my talk about weather has just been of the observational sort, not the complaint sort.

Because I know that a period of severe drought will come again.  Maybe next year, maybe in twenty years, maybe not for another century... but it will come.  It's the nature of things.  And I'd much rather have too much rain than too little.

No comments:

Post a Comment