Monday, June 7, 2021

The beast is assembled, mostly

I'm building a cart for my table saw.  I built one for the miter saw in April, so this is the second such piece of furniture I've built this year.

One of the reasons to do this--besides the obvious fact that my saw needs a permanent home--is to practice my wood joinery.  I decided to attempt this one with all drawbored mortise-and-tenon joints and no wood glue.

I've... somewhat succeeded.

I blew out two mortises, so I had to glue the splinters back in place, and it looks like that's actually going to work.  I also buggered up a drawbore dowel and was unable to extract it, so it looks gross and may or not be sturdy.  Those were my three major failures.

The rest of the joints, though, actually worked as planned.  I ended up 17-for-20 on that, and that's a passing grade, so I'm begrudgingly pleased.

The next step is to paint.  After that, I'll attach the table top with L-brackets.  Last will be the retractable casters.

Then it'll be on to the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment