Friday, October 6, 2017

Free Space trilogy readability scores

I ran the texts of all three books through this site.  Here are the results.

For Clouds of Venus:




For Caverns of Mercury:




For Cities of Mars:




None of those results are surprising.  I already knew Buddy was written at the fifth-grade level and Mr. Wilson was written at the fourth-grade level.  Basically, I write at about a fifth-grade level with some minor fluctuation.

I consider this a feature of my writing, by the way, not a flaw.  People read genre fiction for pleasure, not pain, so it's in the writer's best interest to make the reading experience as effortless as possible.  My goal is to write in such a way that the reader forgets he's even reading a book.

Free advice for authors:  Impressing the reader isn't about writing big words and convoluted sentences.  It's about the story behind those words and sentences.  Come up with an awesome story first, and then write that story in the most easily readable way you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment