Thursday, November 21, 2019

Slow speed resolved

The other day, the internet was running very slowly on my laptop.  I didn't know the reason.  Maybe it was my internet provider throttling the speed, maybe it was heavy traffic that the system couldn't handle, or maybe it was an issue with my laptop.

I'm now pretty sure it was the latter.

I downloaded some Windows updates, and I thought they were done downloading, but I guess they weren't.  I think they kept downloading, and that's what was sucking up bandwidth.  In any event, that all appears to be finished, so things are back to normal-ish.

What bugs me is that Windows 10 doesn't tell you much about what it's doing.  It likes to hide menus and processes.  It likes to spy on you and change your settings during updates.  When the OS does notify you about something, it's often a useless fact like "You just plugged in headphones" or whatever.  Well, duh.  I know what I just did.  Don't tell me what I'm doing.  Tell me what you're doing.  It's a lot easier to tolerate slow internet if I know the reason for it.

I like the OS for the most part, but it's a naughty rascal.  One must keep it on a short leash.

On the plus side, the updates went off without a hitch.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment