Thursday, May 16, 2019

Crossbows

After watching that Euron "Bowmaster" video, I sort of want a crossbow now.

Amazon offers a large selection.  I have no idea what I'd prefer, though.  There are shoulder-fired crossbows, but also pistol crossbows, and I can see the merits of both.

It also occurred to me that I could go to Home Depot, get some lumber and fasteners and some rope, and maybe build my own ballista.  The problem with that is that it might be too big to fit through a door, so I'd have to leave it outside, I guess, and that's not very appealing.

I suppose I could build my own crossbow.  I'd have to use metal springs instead of flexible bow arms.  Of course, a really fancy crossbow would be a repeater.  Sort of like a revolver, except with bolts instead of cartridges.  I found this instructable for a repeating crossbow, but it uses a stack magazine that sits atop the thing, and I'm not really crazy about that design.  I'd prefer a mag under the firing level.  A rotary mag, a left-side cocking lever, and a forward bullpup-style pistol grip would be the bee's knees.

I probably won't get a crossbow, or build one, but it's fun to muse about.

No comments:

Post a Comment