Sunday, September 16, 2018

Dipping my toe in the library waters

I just clicked the Overdrive box on three of my books on Kobo.  They'll presumably be available for libraries around the world to purchase in something like 7-10 days.  This is something I've been meaning to do for a while, but I had a hard time figuring out how to price the books, so I've held off.

Some people say to set the ebook's Overdrive price at three times the retail price.  Others say to set it at the print price.  Others suggest going higher than that, citing trad-published ebook titles selling on Overdrive for $59.99 or whatever.  And still others say to set it as low as possible and basically write it off as a marketing avenue instead of a real income stream.  Decisions, decisions...

I finally decided on $14.99 for each of the Free Space trilogy books.  So far, those are the only books I'm making available to Overdrive.  The series is complete, unlike Wheel of Fire, so library readers can get the whole thing if they want.

Every time a library purchases a copy, I'll get 50%, so about $7.50.  I reserve the right to change the Overdrive pricing at any time, because this is totally new to me, and I don't know what to expect.

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment