Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I see a Pale Moon arising

I'm in the process of making the switch from Firefox to Pale Moon.  I'm typing this blog post in the Pale Moon browser right now.  I've imported my bookmarks and logins, added some addons, and even loaded a theme.  So far, so good.

Why am I doing this?  Simple.  Mozilla has decided to go to WebExtensions exclusively.  When that happens, the enormous library of Firefox addons will become largely worthless.  And it's those addons--the ability to almost limitlessly customize one's browser--that made Firefox worthwhile.  Take that away, and there's no reason to stick with it.

My hope is that Pale Moon updates will be fewer and further between than Firefox updates.  I further hope that Pale Moon updates will be less likely to break my addons than Firefox updates tended to be. 

I like my addons.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment