Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Desperation, inspiration

I've struggled with the Mars outline.  I've already mentioned that.  I think I'm on the right track now, but I still have lots of hammering away at it before I'll know for certain.  I haven't done squat for the last week or so due to the holidays, but hopefully I can get back on track soon.

The problem is that, aside from not having a ready outline, the struggle eats away at my confidence.  It provokes a sense of desperation, as if I must finish it soon or the whole thing will slip between my fingers and shatter on the floor.

On the other hand, inspiration can hit when you least expect it.  Though Mars has proved elusive, the idea for my next series has come crashing into my consciousness like a tsunami.  I've already sketched out a setting, characters, and plot points for nine books.  Yes, a nine-book series.  Ambitious, I know.  And meaningless until I write full outlines.  My hard drive is full of undeveloped ideas that may never see the light of day.

Nevertheless, it's nice to know that my creative juices can blank out in one area and overcompensate in another.

No comments:

Post a Comment