Sunday, June 14, 2020

I've learned something

I'm not a carpenter.  I've said that before, and I'll say it again, because it can't be said enough.  I absolutely suck at woodworking.  My wood is warped, my edges are crooked, and the holes I've drilled are only mostly circular and on target.

Having said that, I've learned something new.  My plan was to join the pieces of wood together with dowel pins.  I'm using quarter-inch pins, so I drilled quarter-inch holes.  And the pins fit in the holes... barely.  They're very tight.  There's no wiggle room, and that means all my holes have to line up exactly in order for this hare-brained scheme to work.

Since I suck at woodworking, my holes obviously don't line up exactly.

So I decided to go up to the next-size drill bit, a 17/64, and use that to enlarge the holes.

The newer, slightly larger holes are better.  The pins go in freely, and there's enough wiggle room for me to put the pieces together.  And the holes are still tight enough to create a snug fit once I add the glue to the mix.

From now on, whenever I'm planning to do the dowel-pin thing, I'm going to use a drill bit that's the next size larger rather than one that matches the diameter of the pin.  That's what I've learned.

Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment