Friday, April 21, 2023

Smell

I think my sense of smell is repairing itself.

I had covid in January of 2021.  The actual illness lasted about two weeks, and it sucked, but it wasn't any sort of huge deal.  The experience was about average for being sick.

The after-effects, though, lasted a lot longer.  One of those effects was fatigue.  I'd feel normal one moment, and then I'd be utterly spent the next moment.  Exhaustion occurring suddenly and for no apparent reason, and multiple times a day; that was my life.  It was quite debilitating.  This went on for many months, and it's only now, in 2023, that I feel I'm finally over it.

Another after-effect was an alteration to my sense of smell.  I noticed this the most when it came to pork products.  I used to love the smell of bacon cooking; now it made me gag.  Same thing with pork chops.  Oddly enough, ham was unaffected, so I still enjoyed the smell of ham at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Recently, though, I've noticed that my sense of smell seems to be going back to its old pre-covid self.  I hope so; I hope it's actually happening and I'm not just imagining it.

I'd like to be a normal human for a while now, and preferably for the rest of my life.  Hopefully the world will let me.

No comments:

Post a Comment