Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Browser update

Windows 10 informed me I needed an important security update.  That's what it called it: a security update.  My computer was in danger!  Naturally, I told it to go ahead and perform the update.

I had to pause what I was doing, of course, since the update required a restart.  But that's okay.  Just a minor inconvenience, right?

Well...

When the computer restarted, I got the welcome screen for the new browser.  That was it?  The big security issue was just an update for Edge?  *eye roll*

It said it was signing in to my Microsoft account.  It didn't say "trying."  It said, actually and definitively, that it was signing in.  That was a lie.  I don't have a Microsoft account.  I've never had one.  I don't like it when people--or machines--lie to me.  *scowl*

I right-clicked on the icon in the toolbar and selected "close window."  The window didn't close.  That annoyed me.  I don't like it when some program insists on remaining open until I click the "get started" button, or whatever it said.  That's basically hijacking.  *harsh muttering*

After clicking through the intro screens, the regular browser interface came up.  Then I was able to close it out.  But it left something behind: an icon on my toolbar.  I didn't have the Edge icon there before.  I had intentionally removed it a long time ago.  Microsoft put it back without my permission.  That's something non-Microsoft programs always ask about during the installation process: desktop and toolbar icons.  But not Microsoft.  *exasperated cursing*

So, while no harm was ultimately done, I'm still a bit annoyed.  There's no reason to be doing this sort of weaselly nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment